For All Ages
Sing the Johnny Appleseed Song "The Lord is Good to Me" from the short 1948 Disney classic," Johnny Appleseed". The lyrics to this song are included our John Chapman Free Printables
Watch the 1948 Disney Short Movie The Legend of Johnny Appleseed here
This letter is the perfect fit for a Poetry Tea Time! Make up your favorite apple dish (muffins, pancakes, scones, applesauce, etc.) or just snack on some fresh apples while you read from these poems and sip on some apple cider:
"Johnny Appleseed" by Vachel Lindsay in Favorite Poems Old and New Selected by Helen Ferris
- "Johnny Appleseed" by William Henry Venable
- "Johnny Appleseed" by Edgar Lee Masters
The Johnny Appleseed Society and Museum at Bailey Hall, Urbana University, Ohio
- The Johnny Appleseed Heritage Center and Outdoor Historical Drama, Ashland, Ohio
National Apple Museum, Biglerville, Pennsylvania
Johnny Appleseed Festival, Sept 21-22, 2019 in Johnny Appleseed Park/Archer Park, Fort Wayne, IN
- Visit an apple orchard. Fall is the perfect time to pick apples! Check online to see if there are any orchards near you that offer orchard tours or apple picking days.
Seed by Seed: The Legend and Legacy of John "Appleseed" Chapman by Esme Raji Codell and Lynne Rae Perkins
Johnny Appleseed by Steven Kellogg
Paint with apples! Cut apples in half vertically and use them as apple stamps or make a basket of apples using this great idea from premeditatedleftovers.
Apple Taste Test: gather 5 or 6 different types of apples to try. Use our Apple Taste Test in our free printables to rate the apples.
Try different apple products: apple sauce, dried apples, and apple cider.
- For more ideas, check out our John Chapman Pinterest Board
Who Was Johnny Appleseed? by Joan Holub
Johnny Appleseed by Richard Worth
Johnny Appleseed by Reeve Lindbergh
- Use our free printables to complete a John Chapman 5 Senses Character Map
- Venn Diagram: Complete a Venn diagram comparing what you know to be true about John Chapman's life to what is considered legend or folk tale about Johnny Appleseed.
Middle & High School
Cook with Apples! Treat your family to an apple dish such as apple muffins, apple pancakes, homemade apple sauce. apple scones, biscuits with apple butter, or try your hand at making homemade apple cider.
Mapping: See if you can map out the locations of John Chapman's apple orchards
- Write an essay on the importance of American folk heroes such as John Chapman. Why are they important? How do their stories help instill courage and national pride?
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.