We want to make it easy for you to make the most of your American history letter subscription from us about Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte! There are so many wonderful ways you can study about her... our top recommendation is learn about her life and her accomplishments! We hope you'll find the lesson plans and resources listed below helpful as you plan your study!
For the free downloads to go with our Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte Heritage Letter go here!
For All Ages
“The First American Indian Doctor”
Stuff You Missed in History Class
Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte
The Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte Center in Walthill, Nebraska
One Week with Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte
Day 1: Hello Susan!
- Read the Heritage Letter from Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte
- Watch PBS’s American Masters: The First American Indian Doctor
Day 2: Susan’s Education
- Watch clip from Medicine Women: Crossing Bridges
- Watch clip from Medicine Women: Susan La Flesche Graduates from the Women’s Medical College of Pennsylvania
Day 3: Coming Home
- Locate Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, home of the Women’s Medical College of Pennsylvania on a map, then find the Omaha Reservation just south of Sioux City, Nebraska.
- How far did Susan have to travel to return home?
- Why did she return home?
- Watch the clip from Medicine Women: Coming Home
Day 4: Susan’s Dream--Virtual Field Trip Day!
- Visit the Susan La Flesche Picotte Center in Walthill, Nebraska and learn about the renovation project to restore the center.
- Watch the clip from Medicine Women: Dedication of the Susan Picotte Hospital & the Death of Dr. Picotte]
- Discuss why it's important to preserve places of historical significance.
Day 5: One Last Day with Susan
- Complete the Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte pamphlet using all the information you've learned about her this week.
- Bonus: Listen to a Podcast
-for older children/adults:
Stuff You Missed in History Class: Dr. Susan La Flesche Picotte
*Medicine Women is available in its entirety on Amazon Prime here. I would recommend previewing it first before watching with younger students.
**Unfortunately there are very few books about Susan and I did not have access to any of them to preview so I have not recommended any books to go along with this letter. Her story would make a beautiful children's picture book, I hope to see one some day very soon!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.