Betsy Ross by Becky White
Learn how Betsy "stitched, stitched, stitched" the first flag.
Betsy Ross by Jan Mader
The story of Betsy and the first flag told over a timeline of Betsy's life.
Our American Flag by Mary Firestone
A brief history of the US flag over the last 200 years.
- Make your own 13 colonies US Flag with felt.
- Set up a flag-themed discovery table with small flags, red and white ribbons, blue squares, and white star-shaped buttons.
Who Was Betsy Ross by James Buckley
A look at the life of Betsy Ross and the American people and events surrounding her life.
History's All Stars: Betsy Ross by Ann Weil
A look at the childhood of Betsy Ross. This is a reprint of the former Betsy Ross: Designer of Our Flag by Ann Weil from the Childhood of Famous Americans Series.
The American Flag by Kelli L. Hicks
Covers the history of the US flag along with a historical progression of the flag and information regarding flag etiquette.
- Complete the National Parks Junior Ranger Activity Book for the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail then mail in your completed book to receive your Junior Ranger badge. The book is available here or get yours in person at Fort McHenry in Baltimore, Maryland. (Hint for page 8: you'll also need to know Alexander Cochrane)
- Make your own 13 colonies US Flag with felt, construction paper, or poster board.
- Watch the Betsy Ross Reenactor video below then make your own five-pointed stars.
Stars & Stripes Forever by Richard H. Schneider
An excellent look at the history, legends, traditions, and stories of the US Flag.
- Complete the National Parks Junior Ranger Activity Book for the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail then mail your completed book in to receive your Junior Ranger badge. The book is available here or get yours in person at Fort McHenry in Baltimore, Maryland. (Hint for page 8: you'll also need to know Alexander Cochrane)
- Make a Red, White, and Blue Bandana wreath
Any of the books listed under Middle School Books would be appropriate.
Topics to Explore
- Research US Flag Etiquette. Is it important to show respect for the flag? Why is it important for us to have “rules” that determine how respect for the flag should be shown?
- There is some debate that Betsy Ross may not have sewn the first Stars and Stripes. Read the evidence linked under "Who Created the First Flag? Was it Betsy Ross" on http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/ to see what the evidence is for and against Betsy Ross as the producer of our first flag then discuss your findings with your family or friends.
- Learn how the military folds a flag properly and demonstrate for your family or friends.
Betsy Ross House Reenactor Video
Places to visit
- Betsy Ross House in Historic Philadelphia
- Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
- Local Flag Store or Flag Maker
Celebrate our Flag
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Display a flag at your house
- Participate in a patriotic parade for Flag Day on June 14th or on the 4th of July
- Attend a flag raising ceremony
- Contact your local American Legion office to volunteer to assist with placing US flags at military graves for Memorial Day