Annie Oakley Lesson Plans
There are so many wonderful directions you can go with a study on Annie Oakley! Our top recommendation is simply to study her life, but you can certainly use it to launch into all things American Folk Heroes. Here are a few ideas to get you started!
Don't have the letter yet? You can grab the snail mail version here or the digital version here!
To get your free downloads go here!
For All Ages
Actual Footage of Annie Oakley Firing Her Gun
National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum video featuring Annie’s Grand Niece
Biography Channel: Annie Oakley
National Annie Oakley Center at the Garst Museum: Darke County Historical Society in Greenville, Ohio
National Cowgirl Museum and Hall of Fame in Fort Worth, Texas
National Cowboy & Western Heritage Center in Oklahoma City, OK
- Dress up like Annie Oakley with this wonderful costume or design your own!
- Add this Annie Oakley Action Figure to your cowboys and horses collection!
- Spinning Target for Foam Guns -use this to create your own shooting competition for your kids!
- American Legends and Tall Tales Coloring Book (Dover Classic Stories Coloring Book)
- Who Was Annie Oakley? by Stephanie Spinner
- Annie Oakley: Young Markswoman (Childhood of Famous Americans) by Ellen Wilson
- DK Biography: Annie Oakley: A Photographic Story of a Life by Chuck Wills
Middle School/High School & Beyond
- Annie Oakley (Legends of the Wild West) by Rachel A. Koestler-Grack
- The Life and Legacy of Annie Oakley (Volume 7) (The Oklahoma Western Biographies) by Glenda Riley
One Week with Annie Oakley
Day 1: Learn about Annie Oakley
- Read the Heritage Letter from Annie Oakley
- Read books about Annie Oakley (depending on how many books you have available or the length of the books you could space them out over the week)
Day 2: Watch Annie Oakley in Action
- Watch the videos about Annie Oakley linked above including the first one that shows actual footage of Annie Oakley
Day 3: Annie Oakley Vocabulary
- Test your knowledge of Annie Oakley with our word search here.
Day 4: Create your own Wild West Show
- Use the Ace of Hearts playing cards and target to create your own Wild West Show by trying some of Annie’s tricks like shooting the middle of a playing card or competing to see who can get the most points on a target. Use your toy foam dart guns or set up a pin the tail on the donkey type activity. Get the cards here.
Day 5: Design a Wild West Show Poster
- Using the artifact Wild West Show poster of Annie Oakley as your inspiration, design your own poster for Annie Oakley!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.